College Football Facts & Trivia
From the longest losing streaks to the biggest butt kickings, check out college football facts, records and triva.
College Football Trivia - The First Game
- The first game of college football took place on November 6, 1869 between Rutgers University and neighboring Princeton. This first game didn't really ressemble modern college football at all. Each team had 25 players and the ball could be moved only by kicking or batting it with the feet, hands or heads - there was no forward passing. The final score was 6 - 4 for Rutgers.
- The forward pass was first introduced to college football in 1906. This addition to the game would lead to greater scoring and reduce the number of injuries caused by mass maulings and tackling.
College Football Trivia - Longest Streaks
- A record, which might never be broken, is Prairie View College's 80-game losing streak during the 1990s. During the 1991 season, the Panthers were outscored by an average margin of 56 - 4.
- The longest winning streak in college football history is 47 games, set by the Oklahoma Sooners between 1954 and 1957.
College Football Trivia - Worst Defeat
- The most lopsided victory in college football history is the massive butt kicking the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets laid on Cumberland University in 1916. The Yellow Jackets showed no mercy in beating Cumberland by a score of 222 - 0! Cumberland had just one play for positive yards during the game, while Georgia Tech scored an unbelievable 32 touchdowns!
College Football Trivia - Top Teams
- The University of Michigan has won more games than any other team in college football. The Wolverines have won 842 games since they started playing in 1879.
- Although Yale isn't anywhere near a college football powerhouse now, the school has won the most National Championships, with 18. Yale's last title was in 1927.