-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Icefire Book Review

Icefire Book Review - Reviewed by Kidzworld on Dec 27, 2006
( Rating: 3 Star Rating)

Discover the mystery of the dragons and polar bears in our review of Chris DLaceys Icefire novel!

Title: Icefire
Author: Chris D'Lacey
Ages: 9+
Rating: 3


Ancient legends of polar bears, dragons and a tear of fire collide in Chris D'Lacey's Icefire! Read on for our review of the secrets and adventure in this novel!


Magical Dragons

David's a student and a writer living with Liz Pennykettle and her daughter Lucy in a house packed full of clay dragons. But, there's magic in the air and it's more than the fact that Liz's dragons are secretly alive! Before he knows it, David is up to his eyebrows in ancient legends about polar bears and the frozen tear of the last dragon in Icefire, Chris D'Lacey's sequel to his popular novel The Fire Within.


Peculiar Houseguests

Living with the kooky Pennykettle family isn't David's idea of a good time, especially when he keeps getting pulled into weird adventures with clay dragons that they insist are real! And, when a magic polar bear shows up, things get really weird. Ancient legends, old enemies, weird coincidences, wishing dragons, strange magic and a hedgehog make Icefire a busy book!


Ancient Enemies

With all the weirdness going on, Icefire manages to go cold for two reasons. The biggest problem is that the beginning is seriously "meh" for the first 50 pages or so. Once you get past that, there's a lot going on, but it never really grabs you and makes you go "Wow!".


The Bottom Line

Chris D'Lacey's Icefire is almost cool! It has lots of interesting stuff happening, but it takes too long to get started and never manages to be really exciting. If you're a hardcore dragon fan, you'll probably enjoy it, but go read Eldest first.


Related Stories:

3 Comments

Related Stories

The fourth book in the Last Dragon Chronicles is finally here. Kidzworld reviews Chris D’Lacey’s ...
Firedrake and his pals set out in search of the legendary Rim of Heaven—a safe haven for dragons....
Dragons, polar bears, the arctic north and ancient legends collide in the third boo...
F1154042378843

Cutest Creature - Dragons or Bears?

  • Dragons are way cuter.
  • Bears are totally cute.
  • They're both awful!
  • Nothing's cuter than me!

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours