Neighborhood Safety Tips
May is National Family Month, so Kidzworld is here to give you and your family some tips on staying safe at home and in your 'hood.
Neighborhood Safety - The Scary Facts
Burglary is a crime of breaking and entering into someone's property with the intent to steal something. Burglars can enter your house by breaking a window, or even come in through an unlocked door or open window. Protecting your home from burglars is an important job, so here's what you can do to keep your neighborhood safe and sound.
Neighborhood Safety - Take a Bite Out of Crime
- Keep doors and windows locked at all times.
- Never open the door for someone you don't know.
- Use automatic timers to turn on the lights when you and your family aren't home so that it looks like you're home.
- Don't leave a spare key under the doormat or in your mailbox. It's better to wait outside for a couple of hours 'til your parents come home than have a burglar find the key and let himself in your house!
- Keep your bike, skateboard and sports equipment inside the house or garage when you're not using them.
- Help your dad install motion detector lights around the outside of your house, including side doors, garage doors and the balcony.
- Get to know your neighbors so you can work together and look our for each other if there is any suspicious behavior going down in your 'hood.
- Organize a Neighborhood Watch to stay alert and contact the police in order to help prevent crime in your neighborhood.
Neighborhood Safety - Important Stuff to Remember
You may have memorized your best friend's phone number, but it's important to know phone numbers for the police and fire department as well. Keep a list of these important numbers by the phone. You should also know how to dial 9-1-1 for emergencies and 0 for the operator, and have an emergency contact (someone you can call when your parent's aren't home), like your aunt and uncle who live close by, or your BFF's parents.
- Clean Up Your Neighborhood!
- Dumb Criminals - Dumbest Crooks
- Quiz! What's Your Perfect Volunteer Experience?