2008 All Star Weekend Preview
The NBA's best are in the Big Easy this weekend for the annual NBA All Star Game! We got the 411 on all the All Star Weekend festivities!
The NBA's stars of tomorrow will be put on display during the annual Rookies vs. Sophomores game. Second year stud Brandon Roy will not only represent the Western Conference All Stars in the big game but will also play in the Rookie Challenge. Roy along with the Memphis Grizzlies' Rudy Gay and the Toronto Raptors' Andrea Bargnani are the Sophomore team's best players. While Seattle Supersonics sensation Kevin Durant and the Milwaukee Bucks' Yi Jianlian will lead the Rookie squad.
- Kidzworld Prediction: This year's game is pretty evenly matched up. The Rookies have a lot of high flyers like Durant and Jamario Moon. But any team that has Brandon Roy, is a team with the better chance to win, so we say the Sophomores win in a close game.
This is one of the most anticipated Slam Dunk Contest in years. Defending champion Gerald Green will be sure to top his table jumping jam he did last year. Everybody remembers Dwight Howard getting slighted in last year's contest, so look for him to get his revenge. Rudy Gay will pick a dunk that was submitted by fans through YouTube. Toronto Raptors' rookie Jamario Moon is said to have a dunk that has never been done before!
- Kidzworld Prediction: Dwight Howard proved last year he had a very creative mind, so look for him to pull out all the tricks to win this one over Gerald Green!
Last year, Toronto Raptors' sharp shooter Jason Kapono tied the all time points record to win the 3-point Shootout. Although he is still the favorite he is going to have some stiff comp. All Stars Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant are big time players who will respond to the challenge. And the New Orleans Hornets' Peja Stojakovic has been shooting lights out all season long. The Cleveland Cavaliers' Daniel Gibson and the Detroit Pistons' Richard Hamilton round up the 3-Point Shootout field.
- Kidzworld Prediction: Jason Kapono will set a new point record this year as he will barely edge Steve Nash in the finals!
In last year's All Star Game in Vegas, the Western Conference put a whoopin' on the Eastern Conference 153-132. Kobe had 31 points on the way to MVP honors. This year the game will have a much different look. The power has shifted east, as the Celtics are now the best team in the NBA. With Shaq and Tracy McGrady not getting selected, there will be a few more new faces in the big game on Sunday. Hometown All Stars like Chris Paul and David West are among the first time All Stars picked. Last year's Rookie of the Year, Brandon Roy, of the Portland Trailblazers will also be participating in the All Star Game for the first time. Dwyane Wade and LeBron James headline the Eastern Conference All Stars, while Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson headline the West. Also it will be interesting to see which team Jason Kidd will play for. He was voted in as a starter for the Eastern Conference, but was just recently traded from the New Jersey Nets to the Western Conference's Dallas Mavericks.
- Kidzworld Prediction: The East has a lot of great scorers like Paul Pierce and LeBron, so look for them to put a shooting display as they upset the Western Conference! We also predict LeBron will go home with MVP honors!
- NBA All-Star Game Facts and Records
- Lebron James Biography
- Dwight Howard Biography
- More Pro Sports Articles!