Ana Ivanovic Biography
Birthdate: November 6, 1987
Birthplace: Belgrade, Serbia
She might have lost in the third round at Wimbledon, but this girl is the real deal! We've got the goods on tennis' new "it" girl!
Ana Ivanovic started playing tennis at the age of five when she saw tennis star Monica Seles playing on TV. Ana begged her parents to buy her a racket and enroll her in lessons. Once she got her wish, she couldn't put her racket down. As a kid, Ana would even practice tennis in an empty swimming pool. The journey to the top was not always easy. Ana lived in an area of the world where there was a lot of violence and war. Many times she would have to train in the morning, so that she could avoid the violence and bombings. Despite the setbacks, Ana excelled at tennis and quickly became one of the best young amateurs in Europe.
As a 17-year-old, Ana first caught the world's eye when she reached the final of the 2004 Junior Wimbledon Tournament. That year she also held her own and almost beat Serena Williams. The next year Ivanovic won her first career singles title. Her ranking continued to rise after she posted big wins against Top 10 players like Svetlana Kuznetsova, Nadia Petrova and Vera Zvonareva. By the end of 2006, Ana was ranked 14th in the world, then the next year she climbed up to fourth! She started 2008 strong, by reaching the final of the Australian Open. Ana's biggest victory to date came at the 2008 French Open, where she defeated Dinara Safina in the final to win her first Grand Slam singles title.
Ana is an offensive baseliner. She relies heavily on her power. She has a strong forehand and backhand and has a nice drop shot. She is very versatile - Ana can shine on all surfaces. Ana also has a very likable personality. She is humble and down to earth, not to mention a total babe! The young beauty is quickly becoming tennis' next "it" girl!
Did U Know?
- Ana Ivanovic is 6'1" tall and weighs 150 pounds.
- Ana Ivanovic is sponsored by adidas.
- Ana Ivanovic speaks fluent English, Serbian and some Spanish.
- The President of Serbia, Boris Tadic, attended Ana's 20th birthday party.
- Ana Ivanovic's favorite drink is water, fresh orange juice .
- Ana Ivanovic's favorite music is pop and r&b.
- Ana Ivanovic's favorite food is sushi.
- Ana Ivanovic wants to learn how to surf.
- Ana Ivanovic loves the TV shows 24, Lost and Prison Break.
"I can improve in all areas, even the best areas of my game. I am working hard on increasing my fitness, strength, serve and net game especially. I also need to get more experience of playing the top players."
- Jo-Wilfriend Tsonga Biography
- Justine Henin Biography
- Svetlana Kuznetsova Biography
- More Bios of Your Favorite Athletes!