What do you know about turkeys? What do you know about turkeys? Check out these weird turkey facts!
Here Turkey, Turkey, Turkey!
- Turkeys are able to adapt to a wide variety of habitats. However, most turkeys are found in hardwood forests with grassy areas.
- The best time to see a turkey is on a warm clear day or in a light rain.
- Turkeys have heart attacks. When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would drop dead.
- Turkeys can drown if they look up when it is raining.
Eat, Sleep, Gobble
- Turkeys spend the night in trees. They fly to their roosts around sunset.
- Turkeys fly to the ground at first light and feed until mid-morning. Feeding resumes in mid-afternoon.
- Gobbling starts before sunrise and can continue through most of the morning.
Eyes In The Backs Of Their Heads?
- A wild turkey has excellent vision and hearing. Their field of vision is about 270 degrees. This is the main reason they continue to elude some hunters.
And They're Fast, Too!
- A spooked turkey can run at speeds up to 32 kilometres (20 mph) per hour. They can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 88 kilometres per hour (50-55 mph) in a matter of seconds.