Dear Dish-It: My Boyfriend Wants To Kiss
My boyfriend asked me when we were going to kiss. We are only in the 5th grade. What should I tell him?
If you're not ready to take your relationship to a more physical level, don't. The right guy will understand if all you can handle right now is flirty smiles and holding hands.
Also, an important thing is not to be confused by what you read in books or see in movies. Dating or having a boyfriend doesn't mean that you HAVE to kiss. Rather, dating is a chance to get to know the guy you're going out with. Once you know each other better, you may decide you don't want to have a romantic or physical relationship with him after all. And most important of all is to remember that when it comes to physical things like kissing, you're in charge. You don't have to do anything that doesn't feel right for you.
Here are some more good tips for those who have Never Been Kissed and don't feel quite ready for it, yet:
- Whether it's French kissing, making out or going to first base, don't let yourself be rushed into anything. Do only what you're sure you really want to do. After all, you're only in Grade 5. You've got plenty of time ahead of you - wait until you're sure.
- Ask yourself how you feel about your boyfriend. Is he someone you trust? Will he start rumors or gossip about you? Are you considering kissing him because you really care about him or because you're curious to try it?
- Are you just trying to prove you're grown up or to become more popular?
- Don't let yourself fall for lines like, "If you really liked me, you'd make out with me," or "Everyone else is doing it." If your boyfriend is handing you one of these lines, turn it around and tell him, "If you really cared about ME, you wouldn't pressure me into doing anything I don't want to do."
- 17 & Never Been Kissed
- She Doesn't Know How to Kiss
- From First Look to First Kiss
- My Teacher Kissed Me!