Quiz the Coach :: Fencing Feature
Question by Lewis
Hey coach, I'm just going to be starting fencing at a local club near my house and I was wondering if you could answer just two questions about the equipment I would want to wear.
1. In addition to all the outside protective equipment like the jacket and the helmet is there anything I should wear underneath?
2. My mom wants me to wear a jockstrap and protective cup for fencing but I don't want to wear it because it's embarrassing especially because there are lots of girls in our class. So what do you think?
Both of your questions can be summed up in one answer… YES, wear a jock strap. Even though you don’t have to wear a jock strap and you probably won’t get hit below your belt, there is a small chance that something bad can happen, and if you’re wearing a jock strap, you will never have to worry about that bad thing.
Pride and Protection
You should be proud of your body. Even though you’re young and you might not understand this yet, when you learn to love your body, you won’t ever get embarrassed. AND… usually what other people are laughing at is your embarrassed rosy cheeks. But if you’re proud, those girls in your class might still laugh, but it usually turns into a positive thing if they see your confidence. Me... I don't think they will laugh at all.
All guys are embarrassed to wear a jock strap for the first time. It’s awkward and it looks funny. But when you understand that it’s protecting you from something that could be the most pain you’ve ever felt on the most sensitive part of your body… it’s totally worth it.
- Tips For Buying Hockey Equipment
- Quiz the Coach :: Foul Ball Fears
- Quiz the Coach :: Getting Into Sports
- Dear Dish-It: About My Body