American Idol: Season 10, Episode 12 :: Top 24
This week on American Idol Season 10, the top 12 guys and top 12 girls sing on March 1 and March 2 to compete for a spot in the Top 10. Out of those who don’t make it into the Top 10, the judges will pick their wild card contestants, keeping their early favorites in the competition.
Courtesy of Fox
March 1, 2011: The Top 12 Guys
- Clint Jun Gamboa (sang Superstition by Stevie Wonder). All three judges loved his performance; Steven even called him brilliant.
- Jovany Barreto (sang I’ll Be by Edwin McCain). The judges were mixed on Jovany. Steven and Jennifer both loved his song, but Randy felt it was very karaoke.
- Jordan Dorsey (sang OMG by Usher). The judges agreed that this wasn’t his best performance. He was trying to be someone he’s not. Jennifer sees him as more of a soft R&B artist like Nat King Cole.
- Tim Halperin (sang Streetcorner Symphony by Rob Thomas). The judges all said that this was the wrong song choice. It didn’t show his vocal talent at all.
- Brett Loewenstern (sang Light My Fire by The Doors). Despite his 14 hair tosses, he delivered a solid performance. Randy loves how he’s fun and bold.
- James Durbin (sang You’ve Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest). Both Jennifer and Steven agreed that he was “crazy good.” Randy loved how he didn’t overdo the “high thing.”
- Robbie Rosen (sang In The Arms of An Angel by Sarah McLaughlin). Jennifer loves how he tells a story with every song he sings, and she loved the changes he made to the song.
- Scotty McCreery (sang Letters From Home by John Michael Montgomery). Steven said that he couldn’t have picked a better song. And Jennifer admits that Scotty was born to sing country music.
- Stefano Langone (sang Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars). The judges agreed that Stefano has star quality. They all felt like they were watching him in concert.
- Paul McDonald (sang Maggie May by Rod Stewart). All the judges love his unique voice and quirky character. And tonight was no exception.
- Jacob Lusk (sang A House Is Not A Home by Luther Vandross). Randy said that the late Luther Vandross would be so proud of him. Steven said divine intervention brought Jacob to the show.
- Casey Abrams (sang I Put A Spell On You by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins) Way to leave the best for last, because Steven said Casey is as good as it gets.
March 2, 2011: The Top 12 Girls
- Ta-Taynisa Wilson (sang Only Girl by Rihanna). Even though the acoustics weren’t great on the viewers’ end, judges Jennifer and Steven seemed to like her performance.
- Naima Adedapo (sang Summertime by Sam Cooke). Steven called her “new old timey” and said that she’s exactly what America needs right now.
- Kendra Chantelle (sang Impossible by Christina Aguilera). Steven said it right: she’s voice hot, clothes hot, style hot—the whole package. Enough said.
- Rachel Zevita (sang Criminal by Fiona Apple). She tried to bring sexiness to her performance, but it backfired. The judges said she was too Broadway and they didn’t even recognize the song. Ouch!
- Karen Rodriguez (sang Hero by Mariah Carey). She sang it in half English and half Spanish, impressing the judges with how she made it her own.
- Lauren Turner (sang Seven Day Fool by Jully Black). Randy said he loves her bluesy soul and flavour. And Steven called her spectacular.
- Ashthon Jones (sang Love All Over Me by Monica). Jennifer says that Ashthon has all the makings of a Diva—the hair, the body, the confidence and the composure.
- Julie Zorrilla (sang Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson). Randy was pretty harsh with his critique. He said she did a poor job and didn’t bring anything new to the song.
- Haley Reinhart (sang Fallin’ by Alicia Keys). The judges were split. Randy didn’t like it. While Steven and Jennifer thought the song gave her just the right amount of style and sexiness.
- Thia Megia (sang Out Here On My Own by Irene Cara). All three judges loved her soft ballad. They said she had a perfect pitch.
- Lauren Alaina (sang Turn On The Radio by Reba McEntire). The judges called her a natural. Her musicality is effortless.
- Pia Toscano (sang Stand By You by the Pretenders). She received the first standing ovation of the season. Randy said it was one of the most amazing performances of all 10 seasons.
Your Top 13
Season 10’s Top 13 finalists have been announced. Here they are:
- Lauren Alaina
- Thia Megia
- Pia Toscano
- Karen Rodriguez
- Haley Reinhart
- Casey Abrams
- Jacob Lusk
- Scotty McCreery
- James Durbin
- Paul McDonald
- Stefano Langone (judges’ wild card pick)
- Naima Adedapo (judges’ wild card pick)
- Ashthon Jones (judges’ wild card pick)