Kw-logo-smaller

Love or Hate?

It’s fun to be a kid… right? Maybe wrong… Statistics are showing more and more kids are becoming troubled teens with low self-esteem. Kidzworld wants to let you know what you can do about it before you do something you might regret.


What is self-esteem?

Self-esteem is simply how you feel about yourself. More and more kids are being discovered to hate themselves. Why? Here are a few examples why kids might have low self-esteem:


Body ImageBody Image
  • Pressure to get good grades
  • Bullying and teasing
  • Popularity competition
  • Body Appearance does not resemble people in magazines and on TV
  • Parents are not supportive
  • Addicted to video games, smoking, eating junk food

Boosting Self-esteem

Kids need high self-esteemKids need high self-esteem

Your self-esteem goes up and down with everything that you do. One day you might not feel like getting out of bed, but the next day you might jump up ready to take on the whole world. Here are the big secrets to boosting your self-esteem:


Oprah Winfrey as a role modelOprah Winfrey as a role model
  • Look people in the eyes (there's a good chance for a sincere smile when you do this)
  • Listen to your heart. For example… Stand up to a bully if they are teasing someone. You’ll feel good about yourself no matter what happens
  • Find a role model and try to learn about them (ex. Oprah – what was she like when she was a child?)
  • Live a healthy lifestyle (exercise, eat well, be active... give your body a chance to be happy)
  • Find something you love to do and practice it everyday (science, artwork, sports, fashion etc)
  • Honesty (not just what you say... what you do and how you act too!)

Losing the Fear

A famous comedian named Dave Chappelle told a story about the night when he was telling jokes at the Apollo theatre in New York, and everyone in the theater started booing him. He said that it was that night that made him become so successful… “because it was not as bad as I thought it would be.”


Dave ChappelleDave Chappelle's night at the Apollo

We can learn from Dave that as long as we try no matter how scary the situation, it’s not the end of the world if you fail. When you realize that secret… you will gain confidence, and confidence can make dreams come true... (performing, travelling, getting a great job, giving love, facing challenges).


Bad Decisions

Smoking Sucks the Life right out of youSmoking Sucks the Life right out of you

Kids often try to boost their self-esteem with bad decisions that only make things worse. Most kids try hard to get friends by doing foolish things that might seem harmless at the time, but they regret later. If you’ve done things that you’ve regret, don’t let your self-esteem bring you down even further. It’s never too late to change directions.


Related Stories:
>
>

readers voted!

Comments

TheDeadpool

TheDeadpool wrote:

Wieners
commented: Sun Jun 01, 2014

american_brit

american_brit wrote:

So do I. People need to realize that no one's perfect -yes, even actors and models- and...
commented: Mon May 05, 2014

american_brit

american_brit wrote:

Sadly, many things :(
commented: Mon May 05, 2014

there are 432 more comments

Please login or register to add comments

share with your friends


Twitter Facebook Myspace Digg


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

F1074535665953

Do You Have High Self-Esteem?

  • Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with myself.
  • For the most part I have fairly high self-esteem.
  • I have some self-esteem issues sometimes.
  • No. I have really low self-esteem.

related stories

Micro_a micro
I’m worried about my buddy. He's a dude in 7th grade like me and he is just a little shorter… but...
Micro_a micro
I have become very serious about gymnastics in the past year. I train twenty plus hours a week al...
Micro_happy_micro
Being a positive person who's happy about life isn't as hard as it sounds - it's a choice you mak...

Random in the forums

Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"Taidoku" wrote:it's wrong because society made it wrong how authoritarian  
reply 11 minutes
Boysrock50
Boysrock50 posted in General:
the junior mods and other debaters/regular forum posters
reply 11 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"kingofdisaster_" wrote:I think they do. I feel like if I say they don't, they'll attack me. Well. They haven't attacked me yet.  
reply 12 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: Ghosts require more explanation than they provide answers Elaborate? Are you saying that they require more effort than they can give back, or that they hold more mystery than knowledge? There's some phenomena that goes unexplained. But that's the important part, we don't have an explanation. By using ghosts as a solution, we are making unexplained assumptions, you're just displacing your lack of explanation onto the ghost, rather than the event itself. And that's the other part, I haven't heard any physics based woo-free explanation for a disembodied intelligence that lacks a physical body but manages to interact with the physical world. So, for me it's basic Occam's razor. The more complicated answer could be true, but until we have evidence to support the assumptions made it's best to go with the simpler hypotheses that operate within the framework we already have.      First off, I do not believe in ghosts. But, why does this entity have to be intelligent? Why can't be some type of unknown energetic remnant of a past life that's being harbored in a given location? Also, how is nothing simpler than a hypothesis? Admitting to not having an explanation is not a bad thing, especially when you don't have one. There's nothing wrong with saying you haven't been convinced of any particular hypothesis so far, and therefore it remains unexplained to you. You aren't saying it was nothing, you're saying you don't know what it was.  How would we measure this remnant energy of a past life? How many joules should we expect to see? The reason we presume cognizance is because people asserting hypotheses about ghosts often assume that these spirits interact with the world and possess some understanding of cause and effect. 
reply 13 minutes
ChickenGoPowPow
Both. :3
reply 15 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...