Allie Gonino Q&A
Actress Allie Gonino stars as Laurel Mercer, the sweet but sly sister in the new ABC drama The Lying Game this fall. In this exclusive Kidzworld Q&A, Allie tells us what it's like being on TV!
KW: How did you first get started acting?
- Allie: When I was little, I always knew I wanted to be in movies. It wasn't until I moved to L.A. for music that I actually got the chance to start auditioning. I joined an acting class in L.A. and through one of my peers, I got a manager. She sent me out on auditions, one in particular was Center Stage 2. The casting director from that audition set me up with my agent, and I've been with her ever since.
KW: What is your new show The Lying Game about?
- Allie: The Lying Game is about twin sisters Emma and Sutton, who were separated at birth. Sutton was adopted by the Mercer family, and Emma ended up in foster care. I play Sutton's adoptive sister Laurel. The mystery of the show lies in the search for the twins' birth mother. Sutton goes to L.A. to track her down, while Emma takes Sutton's place in Phoenix.
KW: What is your character like on The Lying Game? Do you think you’re similar to them at all?
- Allie: Laurel is very smart, witty, sarcastic, and very vulnerable. She values being a good sister above all else, and will always do everything to protect Sutton. I think Laurel and I are both similar in that way. I've learned how important it is to be a good sister, not only to my related sisters, but also to my friends. I also have a pretty sarcastic sense of humor.
KW: You used to be part of an all-girl group called The Stunners, what was that like?
- Allie: The Stunners was a great experience, I attribute a lot of my leadership skills to being apart of that group. It lasted for three and a half years, and I was blessed to work with some really talented people in the music industry. The highlight was definitely going on tour as the opening act on the Justin Bieber My World Tour. It was so much fun, like being at summer camp with your best friends!
KW: Do you plan to continue making music and dancing?
- Allie: While I've been shooting the show here in Austin, TX, I've continued to write some music. I'm also soaking up a lot of life experience that I'll put to use in my writing once I get back together with my band in L.A. Though I still take dance classes, I don't know if that will be apart of my career again any time soon. The new music is taking a more alternative/folk direction. But that's not to say I couldn't dance in a music video at some point.
KW: What is favorite on-set memory?
- Allie: This past week we had to film a dinner party scene with all the 'kids' on the show. It was so much fun, because we were all acting really goofy and making jokes. It's rare that I get to be in a scene with anyone other than Randy, Alex, Helen, or Andy, so it really was like a party to get to film with everyone else.
KW: Who do you look up to?
- Allie: My biggest role model right now is Lady Gaga. She has the ultimate pop music career, and she's humble too. She's not afraid to take risks, and she even said herself that the great thing about her rapport with her fans is they expect the unexpected. That's the kind of artist I want to be. She's also very world conscious, and I love that she just wants to liberate her fans.
KW: Who would you like to work with ideally in the future?
- Allie: I'm dying to get in a studio with Danger Mouse! It's my absolute dream for him to produce an album of mine. One of these days...
KW: Do you have any hobbies outside of performing?
- Allie: I love doing yoga, jogging, writing, day dreaming, & dancing.
Your Fave ...
- Book: The Alchemist
- Movie: The Wizard of Oz
- Band: The Beatles, Coldplay, Arcade Fire
- Food: Kettle corn
Check out the trailer for The Lying Game:
Have Your Say!
Have you ever told a little white lie? Did you feel bad about it after? Let us know by leaving a comment below!