Challen Cates Q&A
Actress Challen Cates plays Mrs. Knight on Nickelodeon’s Big Time Rush, a hit show about hockey players turned band mates. Before landing the role on BTR though, she was already a veteran of the TV acting world. We caught up with Challen to find out what it’s like acting alongside one of the hottest boy bands on and off TV!
Challen has been on all kinds of TV shows, from CSI to Desperate Housewives
Challen says working with BTR is always "fun and unpredictabe"
Challen and Kendall meeting a fan
KW: How did you get the part on Big Time Rush?
- Challen: It was really through the most normal way. I got the audition through my managers and auditioned for the part. I had met the casting director previously but I didn't know anyone else involved with the project.
KW: What do you like most about the show?
- Challen: The comedy! Well, the music too. But the comedy is so big and bold and I love all of the interesting situations that our characters get tossed into.
KW: Do you feel as if you’re similar to your character at all?
- Challen: Well I am a mother in real life and I absolutely love my children. And like Mrs. Knight, I put my children first. I always want them to be happy, to have every opportunity, and to follow their dreams.
KW: What is it like working with the guys in the band?
- Challen: It is always fun and exciting and unpredictable.
KW: What made you first become interested in acting?
- Challen: I was painfully shy as a child and I think that the idea of speaking someone else's words took a lot of pressure off of me. It became easier to be someone else, a character, with a script.
KW: What is something most people don’t know about you?
- Challen: I am the Vice President of a winery.
KW: What are some of your hobbies?
- Challen: Pilates, travel, entertaining, wine tasting, and fashion.
KW: Do you have a favorite behind-the-scenes moment from Big Time Rush?
- Challen: It was basically a private concert at the Avalon Theatre in Hollywood. We shot the first concert scene there and it was so emotional to see the band perform on stage in a real theatre. It brought tears to my eyes.
KW: Halloween is just around the corner, what is the best costume you have ever come up with, and what do you plan to go as this year?
- Challen: My husband and I dressed as Pebbles and Bam Bam. He's blonde and I'm a redhead so that part was easy. I went to the fabric store and made our costumes out of animal print. And then of course I wore a bone in my hair.
KW: You are a producer as a well as an actress, can you tell us a little bit about your other projects?
- Challen: I haven't produced anything in quite a while but I'm always on the look out...
- Movie: Gone With the Wind
- TV Show: Mad Men
- Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
- Food: Chocolate pot de creme
Have Your Say!
What do you think of Mrs. Knight on Big Time Rush? Let us know in the comments section below!