Coco Jones Interview
At fourteen year old CoCo Jones can be seen next starring in the Disney Channel original movie Let It Shine (June 2012) opposite Tyler James Williams and Trevor Jackson. Coco plays teenage singing sensation “Roxxie”, whose music label is sponsoring a songwriting contest at a teen club.
When she’s not singing, acting, rapping or keeping up her honor roll status at school, Coco loves to sew, work out, swim, bike ride, surf the web and shop with her friends. She plans on going to college, but is looking toward taking online classes so she can continue to pursue her dream of performing.
Read Kidzworld's interview with Coco and learn her favorite color and what the future holds for her!
Kidzworld: When did you first become interested in performing?
- Coco: My mom said I was singing basically since I started to talk. Like any kid my age, I knew all of the Barney Songs. When I got a little older, I would watch Raven-Symone on TV and tell my parents that I knew I could do that. After I performed for the first time on stage, I knew that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
Kidzworld: What did it feel like to win Disney’s Next Big Thing Contest?
- Coco: I guess it would have been great if I had won, but actually I didn’t. A lot of kids cannot believe this. I was a little hurt about not winning, but I had met so many great people, been on the Disney Channel, and I even heard my song on the radio. Even though I didn’t actually win, the opportunity to be on NBT really kick-started everything for me.
Kidzworld: You star in the upcoming Disney Channel movie Let It Shine, what did it feel like to land the part?
- Coco: I was actually on the set of “So Random” when I found out. In between scenes my mom came over to me and said , “Hey Roxxie. You got the part!!” I thought I was going to pass out right there. I had to do my silent screams and get back on set. It was a great feeling!
Kidzworld: How would you describe your character in Let It Shine?
- Coco: I play the part of a Rock Star named Roxxie. She has two sides, in the beginning of the movie, she does things to please the people that are around her. She didn’t have a lot of confidence and she did whatever she had to in order to make everyone else happy. The second side of Roxxie is more like me. One of the other characters, Cyrus, convinces her to go back to the church, sing her songs her way, and be happy just being herself. He let her know that if the world accepts her, great, but if it didn’t, she would still be happy because she didn’t have to pretend to be someone she wasn’t.
Kidzworld: What was your favorite part of filming?
- Coco: Honestly, it’s hard to say. I really loved it all. The table read, the rehearsals, all of the dance, and the great studio work. We also had the very best director, Paul Hoen, who taught me so much. I also loved the cast--- Courtney Vance, Dawnn Lewis, Nicole Sullivan, Tyler and Trever--- they were all so wonderful to me. It was really like a family.
Coco Singing at 9 Years old
Kidzworld: Was there anything you liked in particular about the storyline of Let It Shine?
- Coco: I really like the message that Roxxie’s character gives. At my age, a lot of my friends try to change themselves to fit in, or to be liked, but Roxxie helps girls realize that they have to be confident in themselves, have their own style, and if people accept you, great, but if they don’t, that’s alright too.
Kidzworld: Which musical artists do you look up to the most?
- Coco: I really like Selena Gomez. She had her own show, has done some great movies, performs concerts, and has great music. On top of all of that, she finds time to visit other countries to try to help people in need. I think she is a wonderful person.
Kidzworld: What is something most people don’t know about you?
- Coco: I love clothes, so I decided to try sewing. I got a machine and some material, watched some youtube videos and got started teaching myself. I made some outfits for my Yorkie, Tiger. I have plans to take some classes when I have a break from work.
Kidzworld: You have been appearing on So Random, what’s your favorite part of filming that show?
- Coco: Filming a weekly show is great. You get a new script every week and you always are doing something new and different. “So Random” also had great costumes. The cast is so funny all the time, both on camera and off.
Kidzworld: Are you planning on acting or singing in the future?
- Coco: I am planning on doing it all: singing, acting, dancing, touring, movies, shows… this is only the beginning.
Kidzworld: Who would you like to work with the most in the future?
- Coco: I would really like to work with Missy Elliott or Will-I-am. I would like to do a duet with Justin Bieber or Mindless Behavior.
Band: Maroon 5
Subject: It was Literature until recently, but now I am really into Science.