Kidzworld Kitchen: Bakesale
Earn extra money by hosting a bakesale! Kidzworld has recipe ideas to help you reel in the money.
Is there a trip or dreamy item you are totally wanting but just don’t have the funds to buy? Or maybe you are really passionate about helping a local charity, animal shelter or food bank? Any of these goals are going to need some excess mula in order to pull off, so how about organizing a bakesale?!
First step would be to talk to a local community centre, school or sports complex about any upcoming events where you could sell your tasty items. Then assign each of your volunteers to make a delicious treat such as cookies, cupcakes, pies, squares, chocolates, etc. A tablecloth, labels for your items and a pretty display will go a long way to make your table appealing and attract customers. Have fun and good luck!
- Bag of pretzel rods
- 2 cups of milk or semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups of white chocolate
- Sprinkles/Smarties/M&Ms/candies for decorating
- Melt chocolate and white chocolate separately in 2 medium size bowls for 30 seconds. Stir with a fork. If it is not smooth and evenly melted put back into microwave for 10 seconds at a time until smooth
- Using the fork cover the pretzel rods with chocolate, allow drips to fall and then cover with decorations
- Cover some of the rods with white chocolate or us as a drizzle
- Display in a tall glass or vase
Chocolate Sundae Cupcakes
- 1 + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (dark)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- (Hint! You could also opt to use a boxed cake mix and follow the instructions)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Insert cupcake liners into baking tin (Hint! Make your cupcakes extra special with unique liners which can be found at any craft/baking supply/discount or department store)
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Melt the butter at low heat and add to the dry ingredients. Also add milk and eggs.
- Mix everything together until smooth, either by hand or by using an electric mixer at slow speed.
- Divide evenly into cupcake pan and bake for 8-12 minutes (Hint! Test to see if cupcakes are cooked by inserting a wooden toothpick in the center, if they come out clean they are ready)
- Cool on a wire rack
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 2½ cups powdered sugar (Hint! Powdered sugar is sometimes called ‘icing sugar’)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Jar of maraschino cherries
- Using a electric hand mixer or stand-up mixer beat butter on medium speed
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add the sugar
- Add vanilla
- Beat for approximately 2 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy
- For the very polished look of pro cupcakes purchase a simple icing bag and tip set (Hint! Can be found at any craft/baking/supply/discount or department store)
- Frost cupcakes in a swirl pattern and top with a cherry
- Display on trays or cake stands
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Good luck bakers!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes