Kidzworld Kitchen: Father’s Day Delights
We don’t know about your dads, but ours love anything barbecued, bacon-flavored or hot out of the oven! So if yours shares the same favorites here are a few food ideas that will make his Father’s Day extra tasty! Try prepping some delicious cheese-stuffed burgers for him to expertly grill and slather with homemade BBQ sauce. Don’t forget to compliment his grilling techniques – he’ll love that! Then finish up the meal with some sweet and salty bacon chocolate chip cookies. It may sound like a crazy combination, but trust me that they are heavenly and dad won’t be able to get enough.
So cheers to dads everywhere for all that they do for us. Hopefully you make yours feel extra appreciated on June 17.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Inside-Out Cheeseburger Preparation Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
- 1 lb of extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 med minced onion
- ¼ cup of BBQ sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp of seasoning salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 8-10 slices of your favorite cheese (cheddar or blue cheese work great)
- In a large bowl combine raw ground beef with all the ingredients
- Mix thoroughly (Hint! The absolute best way to do this is with your hands so either scrub up or pick up some food safe latex gloves)
- Divide meat mixture into equal portions and form into balls
- Press a piece of cheese into the center of the ball and then flatten to form a patty (Hint! Be sure to press them well or your burgers might break apart)
- Lay finished patties onto wax paper and hand off to dad for grilling!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, mustard powder, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before brushing on your burgers or favorite meat.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Chop 8 strips of bacon into ¼” pieces and cook in a frying pan until very crispy. Drain pieces thoroughly on paper towel and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs 1 at a time and beat into the butter mixture. Add vanilla extract and beat until well blended and slightly fluffy
- Stir in the flour mixture a little at a time, mixing just until combined.
- Stir in the bacon and chocolate chips.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the dough onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake until edges turn golden brown (10 to 12 minutes)
- Remove from the oven, and cool on a wire rack
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy cooking for dad!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Have Your Say
How do you celebrate Father's Day? Let us know in the comments below.