How to Make a Hula-Hoop
Hula-hoops are one of the simplest toys out there and maybe even one of the oldest. There are records that show the ancient Greeks had a hoop that they would wind around themselves for exercise. These toys have certainly stood the test of time though you may not want to use an ancient Greek hula-hoop seeing as it might crumble on you. Instead, make your own! Hula-hoops are simple to make and are hours of fun. Plus, when you make it yourself you can decorate it anyway you want.
What You’ll Need:
- 1” PVC tubing with 100 PSI
- 1” PVC connector
- Hair dryer
- Scissors or sharp knife
- Electrical tape or duct tape
What You’ll Need to Do:
- Gather your materials. You should be able to find the tubing and connectors at your local hardware store. The tubing is typically used for irrigation so it may be a seasonal item in some stores, but just ask and someone should be able to help you out.
- Measure your hula hoop. The tubing comes in a circular shape so simply hold the uncut tubing up to your body to get an estimate of the hula hoop’s size. It should come up to no lower than your belly button and no higher than your chin. The smaller the hoop the better it is for tricks.
- Cut the tubing to the right size. You may want an adult to help you with this because it’ll involve some serious cutting, the tube is pretty thick.
- Take a hair dryer and blow hot air at the two cut ends of the tubing. This will warm up the plastic and make it easier to shape and bend.
- Insert the plastic connector into one side of the tubing and then the other. This should make the circle of your hula hoop. There may be a small gap where the ends of the piping don’t touch, but don’t worry.
- Don’t worry because you can wrap the gap with tape. You can use colorful electrical or duct tape to seal the seam of the connector and decorate your hoop. You can find some bright fun prints of duct tape to coat the tubing or even try spinning different colors of electrical tape for a spiral effect.
- Happy hooping!
Have Your Say!
How long can you hula hoop for? Have you ever timed yourself? Share your times in the comment’s section below!