Kidzworld Kitchen: Gluten-Free Eating
Most people eating a gluten free diet have Celiac Disease, an autoimmune disorder that does not allow the body to process gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley and rye), it affects up to 1 in 105 North Americans and the only known treatment is a gluten-free diet. Many other people have begun to adopt a gluten-free lifestyle by choice, claiming that there are numerous health benefits and it makes them feel better.
Whatever your reason for switching it is important you know that gluten is also often used as an additive in many flavorings, stabilizers and thickening agents so you must be careful selecting products you use in your recipes, ask lots of questions, do your research and read food labels thoroughly.
You might think that a gluten-free diet would deprive you of many of your favorite foods but the truth is that there are so many great alternatives and recipes that you can still enjoy everything you love! As an example, check out these recipes for brownies, chicken nuggets and French fries, all completely gluten-free!
- ½ cup good quality plain chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup dark soft brown sugar (Hint! When measuring brown sugar pack firmly into measuring cup)
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup chopped marshmallows (Hint! The best way to cut a marshmallow is with scissors dusted with icing sugar)
- ½ cup toasted pecans (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC (325ºF)
- Line a 22 cm (8½ in) square pan with a large square of foil brushed with sunflower oil (Hint! Make sure the corners are well greased)
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water). Be sure not to overheat but stirring continuously until it is very shiny and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar, stir thoroughly to dissolve sugar. (Hint! Mixture will look grainy
- Add the eggs and beat well until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add the salt and vanilla
- Fold in the almonds, marshmallows and pecans until well incorporated but don’t overmix.
- Spread the thick mixture into the pan in an even layer.
- Bake for approximately 20–25 minutes or until it is just set in the middle and the edges are slightly coming away from the pan.
- Cool completely the turn the pan upside down onto a board, peel away foil and cut.
Carrot French Fries
- 6 large carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut each carrot into 2-inch long sections
- Cut each section into thin sticks
- In a large bowl toss carrot sticks with olive oil and salt
- Spread out carrot sticks the baking sheet
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until carrots are browned
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder
- 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon olive oil, whisked together
- 1 cup crushed gluten-free rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil for pan-frying
- 1/4 cup canola oil for pan-frying
- Place chicken breast between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a smooth meat mallet until about breasts are 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with each breast. (Hint!
- Use a sharp knife to cut pounded breasts in 2-inch strips. Then cut each strip into 2x2-inch nuggets.
- Have ready 3 8-inch shallow baking dishes. In the first dish, combine gluten-free all purpose flour, salt, pepper and seasonings.
- In second dish, combine egg and olive oil. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In third dish, combine crushed gluten-free rice Chex cereal and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Coat each chicken strip in flour mixture, then dip in egg olive oil mixture and last, evenly coat with rice Chex crumb Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place the nuggets on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before frying.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat olive oil and canola oil mixture over medium high heat.
- Add coated chicken nuggets and cook until golden, about 4 minutes, then turn each piece and cook second side.
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy healthy cooking!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes