Kidzworld Kitchen: Halloween
Whether you are invited to a spooky shindig or hosting one of your own taking the time to prepare an in-theme snack is a super fun activity that will make a big impression. Try carrot fingers in hummous dip, pizza mummies or peanut butter eyeballs.
Peanut Butter Eyeballs Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Pizza Mummies Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Carrot Fingers and Hummous Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Peanut Butter Eyeballs
- 1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 12 ounces white candy coating, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 20 blue milk chocolate M&M's
- 20 brown milk chocolate M&M's
- Red decorating icing
- In a small bowl, mix peanut butter and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until everything is well combined
- Shape firmly into 1 inch balls
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Place a peanut butter ball on a fork and dip into coating allowing the excess to drip off
- Place on waxed paper
- Using the red icing make swiggly lines from the center out creating the blood shot effect
- Place an M&M in the center (plain side up
- Chill before serving
Carrot Fingers and Hummous
- Baby carrots
- Slivered almonds
- 1 can drained chickpeas (15-19 oz)
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend to a dip consistency
- If it is too thick, add more warm water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Using a very small amount of hummous stick a slivered almond to the top of each baby carrot to look like a jagged fingernail
- Place ‘fingers’ around the bowl of dip or sticking out at different lengths to look like a hand
- English muffins
- Pizza sauce
- Black olives
- Red or green pepper
- Mozzarella or White Cheddar Cheese sticks or slices
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Split the English muffins in half and spread a tbsp. of pizza sauce onto each
- Lay strips of cheese across the muffin for the “mummy wrappings”
- Set olive slices in place for eyes and add round slices of green onion or bits of red or green pepper for pupils.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the muffin is toasty
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy cooking proud Americans!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes