Basketball Lingo 101
You wouldn't go to France without learning French, so why would you go to the basketball courts without learning basketball lingo?
- And One - Scoring a basket while getting fouled. Example: If you score and are fouled, scream, "And One!"
- Bang - To dunk hard. Example: Tracy McGrady banged it on Ben Wallace last night.
- Fillin' It Up - To score a lot of points. Example: Carmelo Anthony was fillin' it up all night long.
- Yes Sir - You approve a nice play. Example: If one of your teammates makes an impressive dunk, shout, "Yes Sir!"
- Breakin' Ankles - To effectively use a crossover dribble, using it so well you cause your defender to fall or stumble. Example: Allen Iverson was breakin' ankles all game.
- Dime - A nice pass. Example: Jason Kidd dropped a nice dime.
- Wrecking Shop - A player is dominating. Example: In the NBA Finals, Tony Parker was wrecking shop.
- Garbage - A player, team or a certain play sucks. Example: The Boston Celtics are garbage.
- Boards - Getting a rebound, or rebounding. Example: Amare Stoudamire got like 10 boards last night.
- Got Served - Your team got destroyed. Example: The Cavs got served in the Finals.
- Lock Him Up - To play great defense on somebody. Example: When you are trying to motivate your teammate to play harder on defense, yell, "Lock him up!"
- Beat It Up - To emphatically block someone's shot. Example: If you're a little guy, you better go to the basket strong, or else Dwight Howard will beat it up.
- Basketball Accessories
- 2007 Boys Basketball Shoes
- Starbury One Basketball Shoes
- More Sports Almanac Articles!