Born: October 24, 1986
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Birth Name: Aubrey Drake Graham
Where: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Drake aka Aubrey Drake Graham is already spitting rhymes with some of the biggest names in the rap game. He’s collaborated with Lil Wayne, Jay-Z and Young Jeezy and remixed indie artists like Santigold, Lykkie Li and Peter Bjorn and John. Rumors soon spread that Drake and Rihanna were dating, but both deny the romance and swear they’re just good friends. The New York Post says otherwise—apparently the talented twosome were canoodling (aka kissing) at New York’s Lucky Strike Lanes and Lounge bowling alley! Drake already has some famous ex-girlfriends, one of which is Keisha Chante—he mentions her in his song, "Deceiving."
Drake released 3 popular mixtapes before he was signed to Lil Wayne's Young Money Entertainment
Drake at the Grammy's
Drake and Rihanna
Drake’s first music video for "Best I Ever Had" was directed by Kanye West and critics have compared Drake’s 2009 mix tape, So Far Gone, to Kanye’s 808s and Heartbreak album—probably because Drake has a tendency to drench his smart lyrics in autotune too. But don’t be fooled by the robot voice—Drake can rap and sing. After hearing a few of his tracks, Lil Wayne gave Drake a call while he was sitting in the barber chair getting his hair cut! Drake flew to Houston to meet him the very next night and now he’s signed to Lil Wayne’s label, Young Money Entertainment.
Thank Him Later
Drake’s debut album, Thank Me Later was released in 2010. Drake comes from a musical family—his dad Dennis Graham wrote for Al Green and drummed for Jerry Lee Lewis, and Drake’s uncle, Larry Graham, played bass for Prince! Drake has released an album every couple of years since breaking on to the scene:
- Take Care (2011)
- Nothing Was the Same (2013)
- If You're Reading This It's Too Late (2015)
- What a Time to be Alive (with Future) (2015)
Since releasing his first album, Drake has been topping the charts and introducing new acts to people, like The Weeknd, who became a big success! Drake's album Nothing Was the Same catapulted him into super-stardom, it featured tracks like "Hold On, We're Going Home," and "Started from the Bottom."
- While Drake’s dad was in jail, he shared a cell with a rapper named Poverty. Drake and Poverty would swap lyrics over the phone and that’s how Drake’s interest in rapping began.
- Drake is Jewish on his mother's side, and in his video for "Hell Yeah," he got all his friends together for a second Bar-Mitzvah!
- Drake and Rihanna dated
- He is an ambassador for the Toronto Raptors
Watch "Take Care" by Drake ft. Rihanna
Drake Performs 'Hold On, We're Going Home'
Have Your Say
What do you think of Drake? Let us know in the comments section below
- Kanye West Biography
- Kanye West and 50 Cent CD Review
- Kanye West and Rihanna CD Review
- Kanye West and Britney Spears CD Review