Kanye West Biography
Birthdate: June 8, 1977
Birthplace: Atlanta, Georgia
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Kanye West has quickly become a staple in the music world with his addictive beats, wry lyrics and controversial sound bites. With several albums (and fights!) under his belt, Kanye is poised to take on art and commerce and convince the world he can whine his face off and still be legit.
Kanye has been quoted saying more than a few controversial statements—sometimes they’re taken out of context (like when he said he wanted “less fans”), sometimes they’re shocking (he claimed “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” after the Hurricane Katrina tragedy) and sometimes Kanye really does have a big head (like at the MTV Europe Awards when he went on stage and whined when "Touch the Sky" failed to win Best Video). Despite—or maybe because of—his bombastic public life, Kanye keeps it real in the one area that really matters—his music.
808s & Heartbreak
Kanye proved to people that he talent and soul with his first three albums College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation. Kanye took a risk putting out 808s & Heartbreak—he sings (with the help of Autotune), he laments the loss of his mother and fiancé, and he puts all his feelings on the line. The result is an interesting departure from his usual work—808s is less about the hooks and more about musical innovation, but don’t worry—Kanye the artist is just as good as Kanye the hitmaker.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus
If you thought 808s was edgy, then My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus will blow your socks off! Never afraid to be controversial, Kanye took samples from all kinds of different songs and producing hits like "Monster," "Runaway" and "All of the Lights." He wrote the album in Hawaii - when he was supposedly taking "a break" from music. It was a huge critical success (but some claim it got snubbed at the Grammys.)
Kanye followed up Fantasy with Yeezus, which pushed the boundaries even more - and critics loved it! Feeling on top of the world, at the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards Kanye claimed he would run for President in 2020!
Did You Know?
- Kanye loves fashion so much he started his own label—but first he interned at Louis Vuitton!
- Before he made his own music, Kanye produced hits for Jay-Z, Alicia Keys[/kwlink] and [kwlink 651]Janet Jackson.
- Kanye was in a near-fatal car crash that inspired his first single, "Through the Wire"—he recorded the song with his jaw wired shut!
- Kanye plans to open 10 Fatburger restaurants in the Chicago area.
- He appeared as himself on an episode of the HBO series, Entourage.
- Kanye’s tracks have samples artists as diverse as Elton John, Michael Jackson, the underground band, Can, and even Bette Midler.
- On June 15th, 2013 Kanye and Kim Kardashian welcomed their first child daughter North West!
- On October 21st, 2013, West proposed to Kardashian at the AT&T baseball stadium in San Francisco.
- Kanye and Kim were married on May 24th, 2015 at Forte di Belvedere in Florence, Italy.
Have Your Say
What do you think of Kanye West? Let us know in the comments section below.