Quiz the Coach: Getting Fit
How do I make myself more fit?
The bad news is that kids are becoming couch potatoes more than ever. With fast food restaurants so popular and video games in our pockets, it’s not easy to get in shape. There are so many temptations in today’s world that make us overweight and lazy, and it is tough to get fit.
The good news is that the more you exercise and the more you play sports, the more fun it gets. And that is the key ... having fun. If you can learn how to exercise or play sports while having fun, then it becomes easy to say “No!” to the television.
I'm going to give you some step-by-step advice on how to get going:
- 1. It begins with the food you eat. You have to cut down on the fast food and the candy. "Junk food" is notorious for making everyone overweight, which makes you lazy, which makes you park your booty on the couch all day watching cartoons and snacking on Mr. Pibb and Red Vines. As soon as you start eating more fruits and vegetables and less junk, you are going to feel more energetic, clear-headed, and motivated to be active.
- 2. Another way to motivate yourself is to find a friend that wants to join you to become more fit. If you have a friend that is calling you to shoot some hoops, or coming over to help blend up some fruit smoothies, to share ideas about different games to play... you're going to be having fun immediately.
- 3. Now you're ready to pick an activity. If you don't know what you want to try, I suggest watching a bunch of different activities and sports on TV or the Internet and pick something that just looks fun.
Also, look out for a professional athlete or team that catches your eye. Having a role model is very fun and exciting. They can inspire you very easily to get into the game!
- 4. Now that you're ready to play, have fun and get fit ... it's really important to work up a sweat. And that's the most important rule to get fit because the more you sweat, the more you'll get in shape. The best activities that will make you sweat are continuous activities like running, dancing, swimming, and riding your bike.
- 5. Be creative. If running around a track over and over again is not making you excited to get fit, you have to change it up. For example, use a stopwatch, find a place with nice scenery, race your friends, research some cool games to play with lots of running.
- 6. Join a team or a club. If you have the opportunity to do this for any sport or activity you love to do… you have to take advantage of that opportunity. Being apart of an organized group will help lead you into an active, healthier, fit lifestyle.
To make a decision to live a healthier fit lifestyle, you are making a decision that is going to change your whole life ahead of you. If you are fit when you are young, it will be easy for you to stay that way for the rest of your life.