Kw-logo-smaller

James Maslow Bio

James Maslow of Big Time Rush may have “hated” being in a kids’ choir when he was six, but the experience turned out to be the start to an amazing musical career. Find out more about James right here on Kidzworld!

  • Name: James Maslow
  • Age: 20
  • Hometown: La Jolla, CA
  • Musical Influences: John Mayer, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Jack Johnson
  • Interests: Football, surfing, climbing, snowboarding

Kids’ Choir

At the urging of his mother, James got his first taste of performing in the San Diego Children’s Choir when he was just six years old. He admits he hated it in the beginning, but singing soon grew on him and became one of his life’s passions. In eighth grade, he decided to perfect his craft at the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts, despite the 1.5-hour commute each day. It paid off, with roles in Grease, Les Miserables and iCarly, which marked his television debut.

Big Time RushJames Maslow

Making it "Big Time"

Nickelodeon searched the country for four guys with major talent. They needed to be awesome at acting AND singing - no easy feat. But James was a shoe in, given that he’s been performing since he was six. James was a part of the Big Time Rush auditioning process from the start, surviving round after round, and enduring two years of the overall undertaking. “It took a while, and there were definitely times when I thought the show was not going to go, but we kept holding on, because it was a project that involved singing,” he recalls. “Even though we didn’t know exactly what it would be at that point, it was really intriguing.”

Big Time RushJames Maslow

All-Star Advice

Fast-forward to a hit show on Nickelodeon and a debut album out on Columbia Records...what’s James’ advice to aspiring actors and musicians? “Those who have some gifts should really work to develop them,” he says. “I believe a lot of is recognizing that and working at it, especially if you have the talent to back it up.”

On Tour

Now, thanks to the success of the show, James along with his co-starsKendall Schmidt, Logan Henderson and Carlos Pena make up a real official boy band, touring the country and putting on live performances for hundreds of adoring fans! Will you see James and the band if they stop in your town?

James Says:

  • “This is the most fun I’ve had in my life. I can’t believe it’s my job.”
  • “I want [success] just as bad as [my character on the show], but I want it because I enjoy singing and acting. I know the show will give me the opportunity to continue to do this for the rest of my life as long as we do a good job.”
  • “We’ve been able to put our own flavor into the show, about us becoming a band in real life, as well as in the episodes.”

HAVE YOUR SAY: Got some more fun facts about James Maslow to share? Let us know by leaving a comment below!

Related Stories
>
>

readers voted!

Comments

jjz98

jjz98 wrote:

I love James masslow
commented: Fri Aug 30, 2013

LianaRose

LianaRose wrote:

He doesn't look like a girl, He's awesome!
commented: Fri Aug 30, 2013

Onedirectionluver380
He looks like a girl sometimes lol cause he has so much makeup on.He wears more makeup ...
commented: Fri Aug 30, 2013

there are 255 more comments

Please login or register to add comments

share with your friends


Twitter Facebook Myspace Digg


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

F1038527087671

Boy Band With the Worst Hair?

  • Backstreet Boys - look at AJ's hair!
  • *NSYNC - Chris needs some serious hair therapy.
  • Hanson - can you say haircut, boys?
  • None of them! Stop bashin' the boy bands!

related stories

Micro_thumb_jamesmaslowbio-micro
Exclusive! Kidzworld got on the cell with James to get tour tidbits and new TV season secrets!
Micro_kendall schmidt_micro
Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush calls himself “the rocker of the group” and kinda sorta has two ...
Micro_big time rush_micro
Big Time Rush isn’t just a band and it isn’t just a TV show, it’s Kendall Schmidt, James Maslow, ...
Micro_btr_micro
One of Nickelodeon’s hottest new TV shows, Big Time Rush, is now out on DVD. Big Time Rush Season...

Entertainment in the forums

InternetOwl
InternetOwl posted in Movies:
Brave, but only because there was no love interest and it wasn't a musical.
reply about 4 hours
american_brit
american_brit posted in Movies:
"LAZY778" wrote: "american_brit" wrote: "LAZY778" wrote: Brave; because she didn't need a man to save her. It was about a mother daughter bond. And I love that. In tangled it was a love story. In the end Rapunzel and the guy fall in love. But in Brave she didn't need a man to be happy. She was the strong one not a prince. She was smart and confident. I love that. So even though Tangled was really funny i will always pick Brave. That's a really good point ^-^ I still like Tangled better. The plot made more sense and was better written (in my opinion though) I thought the humor was better as well; definitely a lot less crude! Also, the lack of songs in Brave bummed me out... it is a Disney Princess Movie :/ (Don't argue that it's Pixar!) Wait you think because it's a Disney movie there has to be singing!? Really that's dumb. Ok that Iis just my opinion. But really that's dumb.  No, that's not what I think. They're are plenty of Disney movies without singing. I just would appreciate that aspect -especially in a Disney Princess movie, but it's okay. 
reply about 4 hours
XxIHateMathxX
XxIHateMathxX posted in Movies:
Brave of course. In Tangled there's way too much singing. And Merida didn't need a guy to save her so ...
reply about 4 hours
LAZY778
LAZY778 posted in Movies:
"american_brit" wrote: "LAZY778" wrote: Brave; because she didn't need a man to save her. It was about a mother daughter bond. And I love that. In tangled it was a love story. In the end Rapunzel and the guy fall in love. But in Brave she didn't need a man to be happy. She was the strong one not a prince. She was smart and confident. I love that. So even though Tangled was really funny i will always pick Brave. That's a really good point ^-^ I still like Tangled better. The plot made more sense and was better written (in my opinion though) I thought the humor was better as well; definitely a lot less crude! Also, the lack of songs in Brave bummed me out... it is a Disney Princess Movie :/ (Don't argue that it's Pixar!) Wait you think because it's a Disney movie there has to be singing!? Really that's dumb. Ok that Iis just my opinion. But really that's dumb. 
reply about 5 hours
SpaceKitty14
SpaceKitty14 posted in Movies:
both
reply about 6 hours

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...