-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Flipped Book Review - Wendelin Van Drannen

You may know Flipped as the heart-warming family film starring Madeline Carroll and Callan McAuliffe. But before it hit the big screen in 2010, Flipped was a YA book written by Wendelin Van Draanen.

The Beginning

Juli Baker and Bryce Loski met at age seven when Bryce’s family moved in across the street. Juli was instantly drawn to Bryce’s beautiful blue eyes and she’s been hooked ever since. Bryce, on the other hand, can’t stand Juli. He’ll do anything to avoid her.


The Nuisance

Each chapter alternates between Bryce and Juli’s perspective, telling the same story through each of their eyes. Bryce views Juli as a nuisance, who finds pleasure in strange things like raising chickens in her backyard. And his whole family looks down on the Bakers for their overgrown front yard. But while they're sitting across the street making snap judgements about their neighbors, their own family begins to fall apart.

Good Hearts

Juli’s side of the story shows why you should never judge a person before you really know them. She and her family have good hearts. Particularly Juli. She stands up for what she believes in, like trying to protect a beautiful old sycamore tree from being cut down, and giving the Loski’s free chicken eggs even though she can sell them for a profit to her other neighbours.


Changes of Heart

As the years go by, Juli begins to see that Bryce isn’t the amazing guy she always thought he was. And just as she has a change of heart, Bryce begins to see Juli in a new light. He respects her, and he even develops feelings for her.


The Bottom Line

If there’s someone in your life you find annoying, or even someone who just seems a little different, Flipped will make you rethink your opinion of them. Flipped shows readers that the world needs to be less judgemental and more understanding.


Related Articles
7 Comments

Related Stories

Micro guardiansofgahoole micro
Fans of the wonderful Guardians of Ga’Hoole series are in for one more treat. Kidzworld reviews L...
Micro sixtyeightrooms micro
While visiting the Thorne Rooms exhibit at the Chicago Art Institute, best friends Ruthie and Jac...
When Laurie’s best friend contacts Polio, she tells him and his sick friends at the hospital a st...
Poll1

Do You Get Along With Your Neighbors?

  • I get along great with my neighbors.
  • I only talk to them when I need to borrow something.
  • I hate my neighbors!
  • I've never seen my neighbors.

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours