Quiz the Coach :: Addiction Assault
I know that dieting is not good for you if you skip meals and stuff like that, but is it good if you just cut down on the salt and sugar? However, I seem to be addicted to crisps and just can't stop. How can I stop?
Wow, you want to cut down on salt and sugar… this is such a mature decision for a young person to make. Many people don’t realize that they should cut down on salt and sugar until something goes wrong… like they go overweight, or have a heart attack. It’s really good for you to cut down now so you never have anything go wrong.
Four Main Food Groups
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the word “diet”. You can be on a healthy diet and it doesn’t mean you have to skip meals. A healthy diet usually consists of eating 3 meals a day and making sure that you get full portions of the 4 main food groups:
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Meat and Protein
Dump The Diseases
Now, you also say that you are addicted to crisps and you need to know how to stop. Most people are addicted to sugar, some people are addicted to salt, and there are even worse addictions to stuff like Red Bull and Coffee that have caffeine, which is very bad for you. Food with sugar, salts, caffeine have been scientifically proven to cause deadly diseases if eaten too much, so let’s learn how we can fight the addiction.
Step by Step
Here are some step by step methods to lose your addiction to bad foods:
- Tell your parents to stop buying junk food for the house. If it’s out of the house, you’ll be tempted less to eat it.
- Substitute your snacks with Fruit, Carrots, Red Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Frozen fruit blended into smoothies instead of ice cream. This will get all the sugar out of your system and your taste buds will become sensitive and you’ll enjoy these fruits and vegetables more.
- Eating foods that are high in fibre will reduce your cravings for junk food (Eat Bran Flakes, Fruit and Veggies, Whole Wheat Bread etc.)
- Drinking more water will reduce cravings
- Drinking water will reduce cravings
- Exercise and playing sports will reduce cravings
- Find ways to be busy and then you won’t think about being hungry
Beating an addiction is very difficult. It’s good to get support from your family and friends. The more people that are eating healthy, exercising, and doing fun things, the easier it will be to stay away from your cravings from junk food.