Kidzworld Kitchen: Easter Eggs Galore
It’s the season for eggs and chocolate! Greet this fun spring holiday with some cute and unique recipe ideas.
Devilled eggs are a classic snack that also make a great appetizer or breakfast. Give them a festive pastel facelift for the holidays with a bit of food coloring that will make a fun addition to any table. Feel free to re-use this same idea with different colors for other occasions and sporting events.
The no-bake Easter nests are cute as a dessert, gift or can even be used as an imaginative place card at Easter dinner. Neatly write the names of dinner guests on slips of paper, tape a toothpick to the back and stick into the nests. Voila! Change them up and personalize by filling with your favorite candies, chocolates or even a marshmallow chick.
Pastel Devilled Eggies Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Food Coloring Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Egg-Filled Easter Nests Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Pastel Devilled Eggies
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pinch of paprika (optional)
- Assorted food colouring
- Place the eggs into a pot and cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt (Hint! Adding salt will make the eggs easier to peel later)
- Cover the pot and bring to a gentle boil over high heat (about 10 minutes)
- Turn off the heat and leave on the hot stove element for another 10-15 minutes
- Remove the eggs into a bowl of cold water
- When the eggs are cool enough carefully peel the shells off
- Gently cut each egg in half
- Scoop the yolks out and put into a mixing bowl and set aside
- Fill small glass bowls half way with water and add a 3-4 drops of food colouring to each
- Place halved eggs into the bowls of coloured water and let sit until they are the desired pastel colour
- Remove from the coloured water and place upside down on paper towel to dry
- Add the mayo, dry mustard, paprika and salt and pepper to the egg yolks and mix until smooth and creamy
- Spoon the yolk mixture back into the eggs
- Serve and enjoy!
Egg-Filled Easter Nests
- 2 cups of butterscotch or chocolate chips
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1-12oz bag of chow mein noodles
- ½ unsalted peanuts
- 30-60 of your favorite wrapped or unwrapped egg shaped candies (Hint! Eggies, Peeps, Mini Eggs and jelly beans all work wonderfully)
- Line trays with wax paper
- Put the chips into a large microwave safe bowl and heat on medium power for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir, heat for 10-15 seconds at a time until the mixture is creamy and lump-free
- Add peanut butter and blend well
- Add noodles and peanuts and gentle cover them with the chocolate mixture until completely covered
- Spoon into small piles onto the wax paper and shape into nests with buttered fingers
- Refrigerate until hardened
- Add a few eggs to the center of the nest before serving and enjoy!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Have Your Say
Do you have any Easter traditions? Leave a comment and let us know!