Kelli Berglund Q&A
Teen actress Kelli Berglund stars on the new Disney XD show Lab Rats as superhuman girl attending a normal high school (with a few other bionic students), but “superhuman” could also describe the 16-year-old performer in real life – she’s a triple threat actress, singer and dancer! Find out more about Kelli in her Kidzworld Q&A!
KW: How old are you and where are you from?
- Kelli: I'm 16 years old and I'm originally from San Luis, Obispo. Ever since, I've grown up in Southern California.
KW: How did you get into acting?
- Kelli:When I was about 10 years old, I participated in a school production in which I was a featured dancer and actress. While performing, a talent agent approached my mom and recommended us to an agency because she saw my passion for the creative arts. My family and I met with an agent, and my career in acting has steadily grown.
KW: What was your first part?
- Kelli: My first part was actually a Barbie commercial! I had so much fun while filming it, and it was my first real experience in the "acting world."
KW: How did you land the part on Lab Rats?
- Kelli: I received the script for Lab Rats from my agent, and I immediately fell in love with the character, "Bree." I was determined to get this role and have the chance to play such a wonderful and exciting character. I went in for the audition, and afterwards, received several callbacks. I put in a ton of hard work and made my way to a screen test. In my screen test, I had to act in front of all the executive producers and writers..the people who would determine whether or not I booked the role. After several weeks of waiting, I finally found out I got the part! I couldn't have been happier.
KW: How would you describe your character on Lab Rats? Are you similar?
- Kelli: My character, Bree, is a very outgoing girl. She has an extremely bubbly personality and always tries her best to fit in with everyone. Having bionic powers like her brothers, she's also a very tough girl and can kick your butt if you mess with her! Since she's lived in an underground lab her entire life, some of her confidence is lost when she's introduced to the real world. She realizes she has to keep up with teenage-girl trends and act like everyone else. With the help of her brothers, she successfully makes friends and eventually fits in with other girls. I'm similar to Bree because I'm also a very outgoing person! However, I'm also similar to her because I've had my insecurities while trying to fit in with others at school.
KW: What do you like most about the storyline of the show?
- Kelli: What I love about Lab Rats is how different all the characters are, but how well we come together as one big family. We're always helping out one another and protecting each other in tough situations.
KW: What is something most people don't know about you?
- Kelli: Most people don't know that I have an obsession with high [kwlink 25979]heels[/kwlink]! I don't even have enough room on my shelves for all the pairs that I own.
KW: You are also a trained dancer, what kind of dance do you love to do the most?
- Kelli: My favorite type of dance would probably be contemporary. It's a newer style, but it's basically a mixture of ballet and jazz. It involves lots of emotion and movement.
KW: Who are some actors you look up to?
- Kelli: I absolutely love and admire Sandra Bullock. I've looked up to her for years, and her acting skills are incredible. Hopefully one day I can have a career as successful as hers.
KW: What is some of the best advice you have received since starting out in the industry?
- Kelli: Everything happens for a reason. You may be disappointed that you didn't book a certain role, but it just means that something better is waiting! The right opportunity will come along when the time is right.. you just have to be patient!
Food: Cheese Fondue...yum!
Have Your Say
Have you watched Lab Rats? What did you think? Let us know in the comments section below!