SYTYCD Winners Chehon and Eliana Q&A
For the first time on So You Think You Can Dance two ballet dancers were crowned the winners. Both 23-year-old Chehon Wespi-Tschopp and 21-year-old Eliana Girard were named America’s favorite dancers on September 18th, check out our Kidzworld Q&A with the SYTYCD winners to find out more!
Chehon Wespi-Tschopp and Eliana Girard are the winners of Season 9 of SYTYCD. Courtesy of FOX
Neither Chehon or Eliana expected to win! Courtesy of FOX
Both winners are trained ballet dancers Courtesy of FOX
KW: You both seemed pretty surprised at the results, and since Cyrus and Tiffany seemed like fan favorites, can you tell us what was going through your head?
- Eliana: Um, I forgot my name, I was not expecting it, I wasn’t prepared, honestly blacked out it was like ‘what just happened?’ I was happy of course, and it was so awesome.
- Chehon: The same I really anticipated being runner up, and runner up on that show is such a special spot so I was going to be fine with it and I didn’t think I was gonna win so I didn’t have anything prepared. I didn’t know what to say or do or how to act.
KW: What would you say was your defining moment on the show?
- Chehon: My moment was when my mom was able to come because for some reason that week was the week I thought I would be going home. That week I did hip hop and I thought it would be my last, and I just wanted to make the last show about enjoying it and for some reason it just made everything come together
KW: Eliana, was your reaction one of joy or just shock? Did you think Tiffany would win over you even though Nigel called you his favorite dancer?
- Eliana: I was in absolute shock, she’s such a beautiful dancer and amazing person. It was shock.
KW: You originally said you wanted to go on the show to give ballet a good name, did you think it had a bad reputation or what did you want people to see?
- Eliana: I think ballet has always been underappreciated in the show, I think it has a lot to offer and I just wanted people to see that.
KW: Do you think it was a coincidence that you are both ballet dancers and won the competition and do you think you succeeded because of that.
- Chehon: I don’t think I was supposed to make it this far! I don’t think they thought I would grow as much as I did, and I tried to come into my auditions with a new take on ballet, but its definitely great we both made it, I wish I had got to dance with Eliana more on the show, but maybe on tour!
- Eliana: I think people definitely saw a new side of it, and it’s a great foundation to have a dance foundation and there more sides to it.
KW: Chehon, there were points in the show where Nigel asked you to ‘enjoy’ your performances more, do you think you did or did you always see it as work?
- Chehon: I was really scared of failing in this competition and so I’d try get it all, but I really needed to break through that barrier and fear of being vulnerable on stage, but it was definitely just pressure in the beginning of needing to be good and I knew there was so much to live up to because everyone is so good. Later on I realized it’s about the journey and about your growth. I’m used to doing ballet competitions and they aren’t as much about personality, whereas you need viewers to connect with you in other dances.
KW: Would you guys like to return on another season on SYTYCD?
- Eliana: Absolutely!
KW: Why do you think ballet dancers made an impact this season?
- Eliana: I think America is starting to see what hard work it is, and how beautiful it is.
- Chehon: It takes so much work and so much dedication and I think many people don’t know the ballet world as much as street dancers.
Have Your Say
What did you think of Season 9 of SYTYCD? Let us know in the comments section below.