Kidzworld Kitchen: New Years Eve Sleepover
Ring in the New Year eating tasty treats at a sleepover party!
Saying farewell to the year just past and welcoming the new one is a special time that is best enjoyed with close friends and family. Get some pals together for a sleepover party and surprise them with unique snacks made you. Toast at midnight with milk and cookies, noshing on coloured popcorn while watching movies or indulging in delicious Chocolate Cookie Dough Dip while chatting and dancing the night away. With these cool recipes you’ll definitely earn the prize for host/hostess with the most!
Milk and Cookie Flutes Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Pink Popcorn Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
- 4 L popped popcorn
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 small box red Jell-O gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. butter (or non-hydrogenated margarine if you want it dairy-free)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Put the popped popcorn in a large bowl, carefully picking out any unpopped kernels
- Line one or two rimmed baking sheets with foil.
- In a large saucepan bring the sugar, Jell-O, water and butter to a boil.
- Once fully boiling cook for 4 minutes without stirring, swirling the bowl occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and soda.
- Pour over the popcorn and toss with tongs to coat completely.
- Spread out onto the baking sheets and bake for one hour, stirring once or twice
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool, then break into chunks
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 8 oz tub spreadable cream cheese (regular or light)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup sour cream or whipped cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup mini or chopped chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan or a bowl in the microwave, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla; set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat cream cheese mixture into the brown sugar mixture, then stir in the chocolate chips, reserving a few for garnish
- Fold in the sour cream or whipped cream, if you want it extra creamy.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate (Hint! Should always be served at room temperature)
- Serve with sliced fruit or animal crackers for dipping
- 1 cup of soft butter (it is critical that it be soft)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups regular all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12-ounce package of M&Ms (see my secret in the box near the end of the page)
- 3/4 c chopped nuts (optional see my note in the instructions)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix
- Stir in M&M’s
- Using a teaspoon drop cookies of about one heaping teaspoon onto your greased cookie sheets, about two inches apart
- Bake for between 10 and 13 minutes
- Cool on wire cookie racks.
- Serve with milk served in glassware and use to toast the New Year!
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy New Years!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes