Kidzworld Kitchen: Winter Comfort Food
Wintery recipes to warm you up after a fun-filled day in the snow or soothe you through a pesky cold!
Banana bread and hot chocolate are a cozy combo that’s just the perfect thing to enjoy as an after school snack on a cold day, or take along in a thermos to enjoy at the rink or on a chilly walk.
Unfortunately, the blustery winter weather also brings with it cold and flu season and you might find yourself out of commission for a few days. But with a lot of rest and a pot of delicious, nutritious, homemade chicken soup you’ll be feeling better and back on the slopes in record time!
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
- With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl
- Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and stir
- Add the flour last, mix
- Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan
- Bake for 1 hour
- Cool on a rack
- Remove from pan and slice to serve.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (12ounce) package of chocolate (or white chocolate) chips
- Whipped cream, marshmallows or chocolate shavings
- Stir together the whipping cream, milk, vanilla, and chocolate chips in a large pot
- Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot and chocolate chips are melted.
- Stir again before serving
- Garnish with whipped cream, marshmallows or chocolate shavings
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans of chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of vegetable broth
- ½ lb chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 ½ cups egg noodles
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter
- Add onion and celery and cook in butter until just tender, about 5 minutes
- Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes
- Serve and enjoy
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Keep warm in the kitchen this winter!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes