Why It's Important to Wear Sunglasses
Do ya wear sunglasses as an accessory or a necessity? Sure, they look cool, but they serve a more important purpose than to add a touch of glam to your outfit. Read on to find out why you need to be wearing sunglasses.
Sunglasses - Why Should You Wear Sunglasses?
You know that ultraviolet rays from the sun can cause skin cancer, right? Well, it can damage your eyes too. There are two types of UV rays that reach the Earth's surface - and they can totally wreak havoc on your eyes:
- UVA - Causes premature aging of the skin and eyes.
- UVB - Causes sunburns, skin cancer, snow blindness and cataracts (an eye disease where the eye lens becomes opaque).
Since you can't exactly slather sunscreen on your eyes, you've got to wear sunglasses to protect them.
Sunglasses - When Should You Wear Sunglasses?
Wear sunglasses year-round cuz UV rays are present at all times of the year. Even on cloudy days, UV rays can pass through haze and clouds! However, the intensity of UV rays triples in the summer, so always wear your sunglasses when you're hangin' outdoors during summer vacation.
Sunglasses - Which Sunglasses Are the Best?
So, who makes good sunglasses anyway? Well, forget designer labels like Chanel, Gucci and Spy - just cuz they're expensive doesn't mean they're the best! Oakley reigns supreme in the sunglass department cuz they use the highest quality lenses.
- Oakley's High Definition Optics - Provides the highest level of UV protection.
- Plutonite - The ultimate in eye protection, Plutonite lenses are strong, durable, lightweight and virtually shatterproof.
- Polarization - Eliminates vertical glare reflected by snow, ice, water and sand. Polarized lenses absorb 98% of the glare reflected off of the snow.
- Oakley Hydrophobic - Prevents moisture buildup and streaks, repels oils, and prevents dirt and dust from clinging to the lens.
Ranging in price from $75 to $400 US, they're made for everyone from extreme athletes to trendsetters. To check out Oakley sunglasses, head to the official Oakley website!
Sunglasses - Oakley and the Rolling O Lab
Oakley has created the Rolling O Lab, a 40-foot mobile demonstration that travels around North America to educate kids about the importance of eye protection. Through a bunch of really cool experiments that includes stuff like optical lasers, you'll see the science behind what makes cheap and expensive sunglasses different, and how badly the cheapies can damage your eyes.
- Stylish Sunglasses
- Looking After Your Eyes
- What You Need to Know About Wearing Contacts
- More Health and Body Info!