Archie Comics’ First Gay Character
Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica and Reggie – we know and love them as the cartoon characters that fill the pages of Archie Comics. Until now, everyone in the gang has been heterosexual – the boys date girls and the girls date boys. But we all know things aren’t quite so straightforward in real life. Meet the new guy in Archie Comics, and find out how he’s bringing big change to an old cartoon strip.
It’s true: Archie Comics has introduced its first openly gay character to the gang. No, it's not Jughead coming out, if that's what you're wondering. Meet Kevin Keller, the new student at Riverdale High.
Not the First
Over the years, there have been a few characters that either are created specifically to be gay or have dropped some hints along the way as to whether or not they are gay:
- Waylon Smithers: Smithers' declarations of love for Mr. Burns are a running joke on The Simpsons.
- Peppermint Patti: This Peanuts character has the nickname “sir,” but we really don’t think that’s enough to say whether Patti’s gay or not.
- Velma: On Scooby-Doo, Velma seems to care more about impressing Daphne than Fred – but maybe she just really values her friendship!
Have Your Say
We think it’s totally OK to be gay, straight, bisexual or whatever you choose to be! Tell us what you think in the Comments section below.
- I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown
- A Charlie Brown Christmas On Blu-Ray
- Cartoonist Charles Schulz
- Dear Dish-It: My BFF is Gay