MTV Video Music Awards 2011
Well, the biggest news outta this year’s MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) had to be Beyonce’s announcement that she and hubby Jay-Z are expecting their first child! But what about the rest of the highlights of the awards show? Check em out right here on Kidzworld!
In terms of taking top prizes, singers Katy Perry and Adele walked away with the biggest awards of the night. Katy won the Video of the Year award for her song Firework, plus Best Collaboration and Best Special Effects awards. Adele (we love her!) nabbed three awards: Best Art Direction in a Video, Best Editing in a Video and Best Cinematography in a Video.
Courtesy of MTV
And we can’t leave out Justin Bieber, who won for Best Male Video for his song, U Smile. Comeback kid Britney Spears took away the award for Best Pop Video for her single, Till the World Ends, plus one of the biggest honors of the night, the Michael Jackson Award.
Of course, the VMAs are as much about the clothes as they are about the music. Lady Gaga, who picked up two awards – Best Female Video and Best Video with a Message, both for her album Born This Way – took to the stage dressed like a man (her make alter ego, Jo Calderone). For more on the Best and Worst Dressed at the 2011 VMAs, check out our Fashion Police report.
Plenty of Performances
Tons of amazing performers took to the stage on Sunday, August 28 for the VMAs, including:
- Lady Gaga
- Bruno Mars
- Kanye West
We also loved the troupe of dancers who performed a bunch of Britney hits, including:
- Baby One More Time
- Oops I Did it Again
- Slave for You
- Hold it Against Me
- Till the World Ends
Check out the video, here:
There were also tributes to Amy Winehouse last night, which were really touching. Russell Brand paid his respects to his follow Londoner and Tony Bennett and Bruno Mars both performed songs in her honor.
Courtesy of FilmMagic
As is a tradition at the VMAs, clips from some of the hottest upcoming movies were revealed, including The Hunger Games – check out the first look at the film, which is set to come out next year:
Full List of Winners
- Video of the Year: Katy Perry – “Firework”
- Best Male Video: Justin Bieber – “U Smile”
- Best Female Video: Lady GaGa – “Born This Way”
- Best New Artist: Tyler, the Creator – “Yonkers”
- Best Pop Video: Britney Spears – “Till the World Ends”
- Best Rock Video: Foo Fighters – “Walk”
- Best Hip-Hop Video: Nicki Minaj – “Super Bass”
- Best Collaboration: Katy Perry ft. Kanye West – “E.T.”
- Best Direction in a Video: Beastie Boys – "Make Some Noise"
- Best Choreography in a Video: Beyonce Knowles – “Run the World (Girls)”
- Best Special Effects in a Video: Katy Perry ft. Kanye West – “E.T.”
- Best Art Direction in a Video: Adele – “Rolling in the Deep”
- Best Editing in a Video: Adele – “Rolling in the Deep”
- Best Cinematography in a Video: Adele – “Rolling in the Deep”
Have Your Say
Did you watch the 2011 VMAs on MTV? What did you think? Who were the best performers? Who didn't win that shoulda won? Let us know by leaving a comment below!