Kidzworld Kitchen: Election Day
Just because you may be too young to cast a vote in the upcoming presidential election doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be paying attention to the politics that will help to shape your life over the next 4 years. Within the term of the next president you will probably by entering college and/or the work force and the policies of the next administration will affect you. It’s important to be informed and take an interest in who leads your country because the debt and decisions made today will belong to you tomorrow!
So while all the serious decision making is underway and a hand-wringing night commences it might be nice to ease the mood with some appetizers and a nice big piece of USA cake! Finally cap the night off with a red white and blue mocktail to celebrate the win of your favorite candidate or if that isn’t the case, make a toast to living in a free and democratic country!
All American Burger Bites Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Democktail Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
USA Cake Courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- 1 (12 oz) can white frosting
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Generously grease a 12-cup tube cake pan.
- Make cake batter as directed on box.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into a bowl and add the red food coloring, mix well.
- Pour another cup of the batter into a bowl and add the blue food coloring, mix well
- Pour the red cake mix into the bottom of the greased pan. Carefully pour the white batter over the red batter in pan. Then carefully pour the blue batter over the white batter. DO NOT MIX (Hint!) The blue batter does not need to cover the white batter completely. It looks better if it just forms a ring in the center of the white batter
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes then urn pan upside down onto cooling rack
- Once cake is completely cooled equally divide the frosting into 3 bowls.
- Microwave the white frosting for a few seconds on high until it is smooth enough to drizzle over the cake. With a spoon, drizzle the white frosting back and forth around the whole ring
- Then microwave one of the other bowls and add a few drops of blue food coloring. Then drizzle over the cake
- Repeat with the red food coloring, making sure you can see the red, white and blue color
- Allow to dry
All American Burger Bites
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 slices (1 oz each) American cheese, cut into quarters
- 8 slices white bread, toasted, crusts trimmed, cut into quarters
- 16 thin slices plum (Roma) tomatoes (2 small), if desired
- 16 thin hamburger-style dill pickle slices, if desired
- Ketchup, if desired
- Mustard, if desired
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.
- In medium bowl, mix beef, onion, parsley and seasoned salt.
- Divide into 16 equal portions, shape each portion into a ball and flatten to 1/2-inch-thick patty
- Thread 4 patties onto a metal skewers leaving space between each and place patties on grill.
- Cover grill and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until patties are no longer pink in center (160°F).
- Top each burger with cheese piece then place each burger on toast square.
- Top with tomato slice and another toast square. Place pickle slice on top; spear with toothpick to hold layers together
- Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping.
- 3 ounces red fruit punch
- 3 ounces blue Gatorade (not sugar-free)
- 3 ounces diet 7-Up or Sprite (must be sugar-free or diet)
- Fill glass 1/3 full with ice cubes.
- Pour fruit punch almost (but not quite) to top of ice cubes. Fill another 1/3 with ice cubes and slowly pour blue Gatorade almost to top of cubes.
- Fill final 1/3 ice cubes and slowly pour sugar-free Sprite.
- Add straw and enjoy!
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy cooking proud Americans!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes