Danny Way Biography
Birthdate: April 15, 1974
Birthplace: Portland, Oregon
Danny Way is the only skateboarder to jump the Great Wall of China! Meet one of skateboardings' legends!
Danny Way - Growing Up
Danny Way's father passed away when he was just eight months old. His mom eventually re-married and it was his new step-father who turned Danny on to skating. At age six, Danny was regularly skating at the local skatepark and he won his first competition at 11 years old. Over the years he skated for a number of different teams including Bones Brigade, H-Street, Blind and Plan B.
Danny Way - Accomplishments
In his two decades as a pro skateboarder, Danny Way has accomplished a lot. He is the only skateboarder in history to be twice named the Thrasher Magazine Skateboarder of the Year. He also won two gold medals in the Big Air contest at the 2004 and 2006 X Games. He has set numerous world records in height and distance in his ramp jumps. Danny Way again made history in 2005 when he became the first skateboarder to clear the Great Wall of China.
Danny Way - Injuries
Being the daredevil he is, Danny has seen his share of injuries over the years. From 1999 to 2002, he underwent seven surgeries - five on his knee and two on his shoulder. Even off his skateboard he is injury prone - he broke his neck in 1994 in a freak surfing accident. At the time, Danny thought he was done skateboarding and it took him more than a year to recover!
Danny Way - Did U Know?
- Danny Way is the co-founder of DC Shoe Co.
- Danny Way is 6'1" and weighs 180 pounds.
- Danny Way and his wife Kari are proud parents to two sons, Ryden and Tavin.
- Danny Way played football and baseball as a kid before concentrating on skateboarding.
- Danny Way makes his home in San Diego, California.
- Danny Way's hobbies include fishing, playing the guitar, and riding motorcycles.
Danny Way Says...
"I want to continue down the path of the unknown and find where the boundaries lie so that when I retire from skateboarding I know I went as far as I possibly could go with that. I don't want to ever look back and regret not reaching the goals I wanted to reach."
- Great Moments in Skateboarding History
- The Science of Skateboarding
- Ryan Sheckler Biography
- More Action Sports Articles!