Tamagotchi Fun Facts
The Tamagotchi craze started in 1996 when the first wave of the egg-shaped, pocket-size virtual pets popped up in Japan and quickly hopped across the ocean to North America. The tiny toys gave you all the feeding, cleaning, caring-for, and even playing-with fun of having your very own pet, but without the real-world ick of dog poop on the carpet! 11 years later, the Tamagotchi team at Bandai keep making the virtual pets more fun with video games, upgrades, and more. Take a look at these fun Tamagotchi facts to learn more about these cool critters - everything from the Santa Tamagotchi to the upcoming Tamagotchi movie!
Tamagotchi Fun Facts
From the dawn of the virtual pet, to the high-tech Mechagotch Tamagotchi calculator, Tamagotchi have been growing. Check out all these cool facts about the original virtual pet!
- Tamagotchi are aliens from planet Tamagotchi. They crashed on Earth and were put into protective egg-shaped cases by The Professor and his assistant Mikachu.
- The early Tamagotchi pets didn't have a pause button and could starve in less than 30 minutes so they were banned at schools due to frantic pet owners trying to feed their pets in the middle of math class!
- Want a Tamagotchi? Well, there are 37 different ones to choose from, not including the upcoming Tamagotchi V4.5!
- In 1998 a Christmas Tamagotchi was released in Japan with Santaclautchi in it. It was up to you to help him deliver presents.
- The Chibi Tamagotchi is the smallest Tamagotchi in the world - it's 2/3 the size of a regular Tamagotchi and comes on a keychain.
- In 2004 Tamagotchi got to meet their neighbors with the Tamagotchi Connection that had an infrared port to let two Tamagotchi talk to each other, play games together, have kids, and exchange presents.
- There's a Godzilla Tamagotchi hidden in the Japanese Mothra Tamagotchi!
- You can get fit with an Arukotch - a Tamagotchi pedometer. You clip it to your pants and as you walk the Arukotchi inside walks around finding items and maybe meeting boys.
- Tamagotchi aren't just virtual pets, they're also video games! You can play Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 1 & 2 for DS, plus Tamagotchi: Party On! for Nintendo Wii.
- The Tamagotchi online home is at TamaTown.com - it's where old Tamagotchi go to retire and where you can enter or find codes to unlock more Tamagotchi fun!
- Want bling? Tamagotchi money is called Gotchi Points.
- With Tamagotchi Connection Version 4 toys the cute pets could finally get an education and a job!
- Tamagotchi means "Egg Watch" in Japanese, but translates better as "cute egg watch."
Tamagotchi - What's Coming Up?
Even with all the awesome Tamagotchi toys and games already out there, there are still more on the way. Check out what's coming up in the wide world of Tamagotchi.
- A Tamagotchi movie is coming on December 15, 2007! It's about a Mametchi inventor, a time traveling machine and a human girl named Tampopo.
- The Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 3 video game is coming for Nintendo DS on November 30, 2007!
- Tamagotchi Connection V4 Toy Review
- Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 2: DS Game Review
- Tamagotchi Connection V2 Toy Review
- Horse Life - DS Game Preview
- Get More Awesome Toy Reviews Here!