Kidzworld Kitchen: Valentine’s Day
The annual day of love is nearly upon us so if you’re looking for a tasty way to show your friends and family how much you care here are some LOVE-ly ideas!
Browse your local dollar store for fun packaging ideas then bake up a batch of these pretty red cookies. They are simple to make but look really impressive and tied up with a pretty bow in a cute little box are bound to make anyone feel loved on Valentine’s Day.
Or show you care by getting up early to make the whole family fluffy heart shaped pancakes. Get creative with fun toppings like fruit, chocolate chips, whipped cream, powdered sugar and more!
Sweet Swirl Love Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, and baking and set aside.
- In another bowl use an electric beater to mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla to butter mixture and combine thoroughly
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add flour mixture until it is all mixed
- Separate the dough into 2 equal parts and move half the dough to a clean surface, leaving the other half in the mixing bowl
- Add 1/8 teaspoon of red food coloring to the dough in the bowl and mix until just evenly distributed, try not to over mix
- Place your white dough between two pieces of wax and roll into a rectangle as best you can
- Repeat with the colored dough.
- Place on a baking sheet and put it in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and peel the paper off of one side of the colored dough and place on a lightly floured surface
- Then peel off the paper from the other side and lightly brush the top of the colored dough with water
- Peel the paper off of one side of your white dough and place it dough side down on top of the colored dough, trying to align the two rectangles of dough as well as possible.
- Then peel off the last of the paper and trim the edges of your rectangle so they are straight and even
- Gently roll the stack of dough until it is all rolled up (Hint! If crumbling begins to happen gently push dough back together)
- Empty your sprinkles into a shallow pan
- Brush the dough roll with water then gently roll in the toppings, pushing the toppings into the dough so they stick.
- Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour to firm up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two cookie sheets or line with parchment paper
- Remove dough roll from the fridge and slice into 1/4″ thick cookies
- Bake for about ten minutes or until just lightly golden
- Cool on wire racks and enjoy!
Heart Shaped Pancakes
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 + ¾ cups of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Chocolate chips or berries or syrup or powdered sugar for toppings
- Special Equipment: Heart shaped cookie cutter
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- In a large bowl mix up eggs, oil and milk
- Slowly add dry ingredients and stir until combined (Hint! If batter is a little lumpy this is totally fine)
- Heat up a griddle or frying pan on medium and brush a bit of oil or cooking spray
- Pour the batter into the pan making a circle just a little larger than your cookie cutter.
- Cook the pancakes until you start seeing bubbles on top then flip and cook on the other side for another minute or two
- Take the pancakes out and use your cutter to stamp out a heart shape.
- Transfer to a plate and decorate with berries, chocolate, syrup or sprinkled sugar.
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy love day everyone!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes