Healthy Holiday Snacks
Lots of us gain a few pounds during the holidays - but you don't have to. Just follow these snacking tips and you'll be healthy in January without having to deprive yourself of all the yummy holiday treats.
Healthy Holiday Snacks - Bite-Sized Bits
Have your treats, but fill up on fruits and vegetables at the buffet.
Set out bite-sized, healthy snacks such as popcorn, raisins or nuts
- Fruit salad
- Low-fat string cheese
- Low-fat yogurt
- Homemade fruit and bran muffins
- Air-popped popcorn
- Low-fat tortilla chips
- Peanut butter spread on apple slices - the movie stars favorite
- Almonds - our favorite
- Trail mix -- make your own, and include raisins, dried cranberries, unsalted peanuts, chocolate chips, crunchy wheat cereal or low-fat granola, and sunflower seeds
Healthy snacks don't have to be about carrot sticks and bran muffins. Have your fill, but don't eat a ton of it at the same time. Remember, the key to healthy snacking is to eat in moderation. So have your fill of delish treats, but stock up on healthy options like fresh and dried fruit, nuts, seeds and yogurt. Instead of ice cream, opt for something like frozen yogurt
Healthy Holiday Snacks - Fun With Fondue
Fondue is a fun and tasty treat. Sure, it involves chocolate, but the healthy part comes in the form of your dunking pieces. Apples, bananas, kiwis, strawberries, mangoes, pineapple chunks... the possibilities are endless!
Healthy Holiday Snacks - Low-Cal Egg Nog
Egg nog is thick, delicious - and packed with calories. But you can make your own healthy version by swapping the regular milk for low-fat, fat-free, skim or soy.
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free creamer
- 2 tbs sugar substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- Mix all ingredients until thickened.
- Cover egg nog and allow to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Top each glass of egg nog with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, or add a dollop of fat-free, sugar-free whipped cream and enjoy!
- Eating Right This Holiday Season
- Fun Holiday Exercise Tips
- Melting Away the Chocolate Myths
- More Ways to Stay Healthy!