Ducking and Dodging with Dodgeball
From P.E. class to the silver screen, dodgeball is one of the most popular kids sports out there. Kidzworld's got the scoop on this controversial game!
Dodgeball - How It's Played
The game of dodgeball is typically played in a non-organized way in a gymnasium or on the playground. Ideally the size of the court is as big as a volleyball court. Teams of six to ten players will split up on to two sides. The object of dodgeball is to eliminate everybody on the opposite team by throwing a rubber ball at them. There is a center line, which nobody is allowed to cross, so you have to throw the ball from your side of the court. If a player gets hit with the ball, then they are out. But, if a player catches the ball, then the person who threw the ball is out.
Dodgeball - Physical Benefits
Believe it or not, dodgeball can give you a good overall workout. Avoiding the ball gives you a good cardio exercise and you can improve your leg and arm strength through jumping and throwing the ball. Trying to avoid the ball or catch the ball can also improve your hand-eye coordination.
Dodgeball - Controversy
There is a lot of controversy surrounding dodgeball in recent years because of the perception that it promotes bullying. Some have argued that bullies see the game as an opportunity to throw a ball hard and try to hurt and embarass non-athletic kids. In New York and New Jersey, schools have eliminted dodgeball completely. Other schools just use a foam ball instead and do not allow players to throw the ball above the shoulders.
Dodgeball - Did U Know?
- In 2004, the Ben Stiller movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story poked fun at the game.
- Dodgeball is no longer just a kids game. Many colleges around the Midwestern US have adopted the game as a club sport and even hold dodgeball tournaments.
- There are different variations of the game including War Ball, Prison Ball and Chain Ball.
- Dodgeball is a very popular game in Japan, where they play it daily at school.
- The International Dodge Ball Federation is one of the largest organized dodgeball leagues in the world. For more information go to www.dodge-ball.com.
- What's Wrong With Dodgeball?
- Anti-Bully Tactics
- Skipping For Your Health
- More Fitness, Exercise and Health Info