How to Wear Red Lipstick
Glamorous celebrities like Gwen Stefani, Scarlett Johansson and Christina Aguilera can rock their red lipstick on the red carpet, but you can pull it off everywhere else! Find out how to apply and wear red lipstick without looking like a clown!
Red Lipstick - Which Hue Are You?
The first thing you've got to figure out is if you're cool or warm, and it has nothing to do with your personality or popularity - it's about your skintone! Cool complexions are pale with pink undertones and tend to burn in the sun, whereas warm complexions have yellow, olive and darker undertones or tan easier in the sun.
- If you have a cool complexion, choose cooler reds like a true red or a pinkish red.
- If you have a warm complexion, choose warmer reds with a brown base, like a brick or rusty red.
Red Lipstick - How to Apply
A matte red can make you look too done-up, so go for a glossier red instead. Line and fill in your lips with a lip liner that closely matches your natural lip color. Apply lipstick, blot with a tissue and lightly dust your lips with powder to give it extra-staying power. Since red lips are dramatic, you should keep the rest of your face bare or else you'll look like you belong in the circus!
Red Lipstick - Red-Hot Tips
- If your teeth are yellow, wearing a red shade with blue undertones will help make your pearly whites look a little more pearly and white.
- Pair your red lips with either red nails or a red accessory, like a bag, belt or shoes.
- The secret to wearing red lipstick is feeling comfortable. All it takes is confidence to back it up, so stand up straight and smile!