Kidz Notes - Romeo and Juliet
If Shakespeare makes as much sense to you as cold fusion, then this is the guide for you. Read on for the 411 on Romeo and Juliet.
Romeo and Juliet - Characters
- Romeo - Son of Montague who falls in love with Juliet.
- Juliet - A Capulet who falls in love with Romeo.
- Lord Capulet - Juliet's father.
- Lady Montague - Romeo's mother.
- Lord Montague - Romeo's father.
- Count Paris - A friend of the Prince who wants to marry Juliet.
- Prince Escalus - Prince of Verona who provides for law and order.
- Friar Lawrence - The Priest in Verona. He marries Romeo and Juliet hoping it will unite both families.
- Friar John - Was supposed to deliver a letter to Romeo about Juliet and the Friar's plan, but Romeo didn't get it.
- The Nurse - Cared for Juliet during childhood.
- Mercutio - A good friend of Romeo.
- Balthasar - A servant and friend to Romeo.
- Benvolio - A friend of Romeo's.
- Tybalt - The nephew of Lady Capulet.
- Samson - A Capulet servant.
- Gregory - He is a Capulet servant.
- Peter - Servant to Juliet's Nurse.
- The Apothecary - A poor shopkeeper who illegally sells poison to Romeo.
Romeo and Juliet - Summary
Act One - Scene One: A fight erupts in the public square. Benvolio, Montague's nephew, and Tybalt, Capulet's nephew, enter from different directions. They join in the fight. Before they have chance to say much, Prince Escalus arrives and stops the fight. He shouts that they will be killed if they disturb the peace again. Not long after, Romeo appears and Romeo sadly confesses to Benvolio about his unrequited love for a snobby girl.
Act One - Scene Two: Paris, a friend of the Prince of Verona, asks Capulet for permission to marry his daughter, Juliet. Capulet agrees but only if Juliet agrees as well. Since Capulet is having a party later he suggests that Paris should try hitting on Juliet there. He sends a servant to go invite guests to the party. However, the servant can't read, so as he walked along he asked Romeo and Benvolio to read the guest list to him. As thanks for helping him out, the servant invites Romeo to the party. Romeo totally wants to go because he saw his snobby crush's name on the guest list (that'd be Rosaline).
Act One - Scene Three: Lady Capulet tells Juliet that Paris wants marry her. She tells her that she will be able to meet him at the festival that night. Juliet agrees to be open-minded about her parents' choice for her.
Act One - Scene Four: Romeo, Mercutio, and Benvolio head over to the costume party.
Act One - Scene Five: Romeo and his friend Mercutio, both wearing masks, look for snobby Rosaline at the party. Romeo spots Juliet and forgets all about Rosaline. However, Tybalt, Capulet's nephew, overhears Romeo gushing about Juliet and tells his uncle that a Montague had invaded their party. But Capulet was not freaked. He tells Tybalt to chill - he doesn't want violence at his party. Besides, he says Romeo seems to be an okay kinda guy. Romeo approaches Juliet and tries to kiss her but Nurse calls her away. Romeo is shocked to find out that the Juliet was the daughter of his father's enemy. Juliet is also stunned when Nurse tells her who Romeo is.
- Shakespearian Dictionary
- William Shakespeare Biography
- Kidz Notes - A Midsummer Night's Dream
- More Art, Literature and Craft Projects